Six Month Braces
Six month smiles/braces is a popular term to describe the application of fixed appliances for a limited period of time to correct mild to possible moderate crowding of Upper and Lower incisors. Typically fixed appliances or orthodontic braces take approximately 24 to 30 months to complete, so how can 6 month smiles work in 6 months?
There are certain criteria that need to be met in order to complete orthodontic treatment in 6 months:
- Upper and lower incisor crowding needs to be defined as mild to moderate.
- A reasonably good bite to start with.
- No severe rotations of incisor teeth.
- No severe gum disease.
- Consent to reshaping or very slight narrowing of Upper and Lower Incisors to create space to resolve crowding.
- Intact Upper and lower dental arches with no indications for dental extractions.
If these criteria are confirmed on clinical examination, then with the use of very flexible wires it is possible to complete this type of case in 6 months. The result is more predictable than aligner treatment and with the widespread use of clear braces, appliances are almost invisible.