When is the best time to begin treatment?
Orthodontic treatment can be started on certain types of tooth problems before all permanent teeth have erupted. Early treatment, usually beings after the four permanent upper and lower front teeth have erupted (aged 7 to 9).
The advantages of early treatment include:
- Moving the front teeth back so they will be less susceptible to injury.
- Improving the relationship of upper and lower jaws, allowing more normal future growth and development.
- Using maximum advantage of growth for successful treatment
- Improving facial appearance and self-esteem
- Taking advantage of the good cooperation of patients at this age
- Possibly avoiding or reducing the need for further treatment when patients are older.